Sunday, February 20, 2011

A rainbow of reading

You know, I spend a lot of time thinking about home design and furniture. I love blogs like Apartment Therapy, stores like Room & Board, and even paint samples on Farrow & Ball. Current obsessions include antlers, crystals, copper accents, stacks of books, and wool everything. I make little notes on things I like, and mull over when I will have the farm table I've wanted for years. And when it all boils down to it, I don't much care for how my home looks.

I don't think it's that I don't have a sense of style, or an idea of what I want. It's really just that we are currently renting and I don't want to commit to a look/design/serious item that isn't going to "go" with my eventual own home. We have lots of odds and ends of furniture, and some of it fits, but some of it is just being put to use at the moment. And I think that is OK. We are lucky to have what we do, especially a couple pieces of nice furniture and several lovely rugs, and I think people who come visit us are comfortable in our home.


The one thing I do love about our house right now is my bookshelf. After living in 750 square feet with another person for several years, and having my books collect dust in storage, I love having a bookshelf in the middle of the living room. Granted it's a cheapo Ikea bookshelf, but it fits the bill for now. On a whim, I decided to color-coordinate our favorite books, and I'm digging the look. Three cheers for obsessing!

3 comments:

Amber said...

I have decided I am moving to Portland and we are going to open a design store (we will be like those cool chicks in "I Love You Man" with their cute little store and they are eating sushi and life is great, yada yada yada). So there you have it. Plan on it.

Amber said...

And we won't "Put a Bird On It".

Sara said...

YES. That would be awesome. And no, no birds. Did you know that I have a phobia of birds?

I really should have taken a better picture of that bookshelf. Oh well.