Wednesday, July 6, 2011

summer must eats, vol. 1.

Summer is finally here, which I have to say is one of the most magical things to happen to all of Oregon. The thermometer may read only 80 degrees, but the sun is HOT, and there is no such thing as air conditioning. The second floor of my house is definitely toasty, and it kills my appetite doing all of the housewife junk that I accomplish each day. Hahaha, kidding. I barely know how to vacuum.

Anyway, one of my very favorite things to eat when it is HOT is cucumber anything. Salad, soup, in gazpacho (this is coming later when the tomatoes are decent), with hummus, and pretty much any way you can imagine. It's like chewing water. But my most favorite way to eat cucumbers is an old family favorite I'll share: sour cream cucumbers.

Basically, you peel two cucumbers if they are the thick-skinned garden variety. English cucumbers you can leave the skin on if you want. Then you slice them thinly. Wash and chop three green onions. In a big bowl, whisk a cup of sour cream or even plain Greek yogurt would be great, two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and a tablespoon of sugar. Toss the cucumbers and onions in the dressing and I like to refrigerate for at least an hour. I also prefer to salt and pepper upon serving because the salt leaches liquid from the cucumbers as they sit, and the dressing becomes too watery.

I could eat a whole bowl of this. Actually, I DID eat a whole bowl of this for dinner last night. And there's no picture because, hey, peeled cucumbers in sour cream has to be the least exciting picture ever. So go, now, to the farmers market and store, and make it!

No comments: